Sunday, August 5, 2007

3 days of Happiness

This Tuesday I just picked up and drove to Kenlock. It was a decision made in ten minutes, and the packing done in five. I threw some skirts, blouses and jeans in a bag....grabbed some dog food for Willow and hopped in the car. I'm really not sure what possessed me, but I just needed to get away. Perhaps my obsession lately with the ocean and sea glass. I don't think it is really the sea glass as much as it is in walking on the shore for peace of mind.

The drive was just over four hours. Four hours in blazing sun and cowboy boots. At a road detour I had to get out of the car and toss off my boots, sock and grab my sandals. The truck driver behind me was laughing. I must have looked a sweaty mess but who am I trying to impress anyway.

I arrived in Kenlock with a house full of strangers who were family. It has been years, perhaps over twenty since I've spoke to many of them. I felt awkward and just wanted to escape. I suppose my idea of going home for a visit didn't mean socializing. Sadly, I did escape whenever possible, making my way down to the ocean to find more glass.

When I'd go down to the beach, I'd bring Willow with me and tie her up on a long, long piece of rope so she would have lots of room to wander. She is such a lightweight that I tied her to my bag of glass....no worries about her dragging it along. I turn around to find she is swimming in the ocean...opening her mouth as she goes, taking in water. She has only swam in fresh water before, and she didn't realize it was salty. The look on her face was priceless and I cursed myself for forgetting my camera. All I can say is she was damn thirsty when we got home.

It was a good few days. Lots of sun for me, exercise walking on the beach, and great company visiting my mom and dad. I took after them so much in many, many ways. All three of us were thrilled once company was gone. I suppose we are just private people who don't require many of the common social aspects to survive. Give me a mountain or hill with a shack to survive and I'm sure I could find a way to be happy. OK...I might need a pen, some paper, paint, yarn....but I could be happy.

No comments: